Having someone run over by a car driven by a psychotic maniac is pretty standard in a lot of horror films. But what’s even scarier is having someone run over by a car that has a mind of its own. There are several movies that feature evil, driverless cars that will kill you in a heartbeat. Here are five movies featuring cars that are out to get you – and they’ll do it without any help from human drivers.
1. The Car (1977) – This aptly titled film stars James Brolin and Kathleen Lloyd and is directed by Elliot Silverstein. The car referred to in the title is a black coupe that mysteriously appears in a small Utah community and starts running over people. It’s Captain Wade Parent’s job to try to stop this evil car, which the movie strongly implies is possessed by a demon.
2. Christine (1983) – Christine is based on the novel by Stephen King, and is directed by John Carpenter. It stars Keith Gordon, John Stockwell and Alexandra Paul. “Christine” is a red and white 1958 Plymouth Fury that Arnie Cunningham finds and decides to restore. His friends find out that the car has a deadly past and that they need to destroy it to save Arnie. However, the car has other ideas and it goes on a rampage through town killing anyone who has ever damaged her. Whenever Christine is badly damaged, she is able to regenerate and make herself look as good as new.
3. Duel (1971) – Duel is a television movie starring Dennis Weaver. It was Steven Spielberg’s directorial debut in terms of feature length films. The evil car in question in this movie is a Peterbilt 281 gasoline tanker truck. David Mann encounters said truck in the middle of the desert and spends the rest of the movie trying to evade the truck as it tries to kill him.
4. Maximum Overdrive (1986) – Stephen King strikes again with Maximum Overdrive, a film based on one of his short stories. He also directed this movie – it was his first and last attempt at ever doing such a thing again. The movie is about a group of big rig trucks that come to life and try to kill a group of people trapped in a truck stop. Emilio Estevez stars as Bill Robinson, the leader of the group who tries to keep everyone alive. A title card at the end of the movie suggests that aliens caused the trucks to come to life in an attempt to stage a takeover.
5. Wheels of Terror (1990) – Wheels of Terror is a television movie directed by Christopher Cain. It stars Joanna Cassidy as a mother whose daughter is kidnapped by a black Dodge Charger. Although it is strongly implied that there is a driver, he is never shown. The car appears to have a life of its own as it rips through the desert on a killing and kidnapping spree.
About the author: